Tuesday 6 December 2011

Sir Gordon Higginson

It was with very great sadness that I learned of the death of Sir Gordon Higginson. Sir Gordon gave me the job of developing the first management school at the University of Southampton. He was an astute manager, a wise leader and possibly the finest man I have worked for. He was, for me, the last of the great vice chancellors - no pretensions, hard working, personally of simple taste and frugal in manner. He did great things for the university, he ruffled a few feathers - mostly attached to the academic peacocks who strutted their stuff but whose actual value was of the nuisance variety. He was a man of great intelligence and wisdom, he inspired me and I know the world is a lot worse off for his passing. Goodbye Sir Gordon and thank you.

No comments: